Friday, August 31, 2018

You're on an Airplane

You're on an Airplane: A Self-Mythologizing Memoir You're on an Airplane: A Self-Mythologizing Memoir by Parker Posey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I think Parker Posey is a hilarious actress, and parts of this book made me laugh. But the whole premise/set up of this book, that she's randomly chattering to someone she meets on a plane, is just strange, and didn't work for me, especially in audiobook form. There were sound effects, and it was weird.

I liked hearing stories about her family, living and working in Vancouver, and her adventures in acting, especially the notes about filming specific projects, like Best in Show. I wish there had been more of that, and less random musings and stories. Also, I didn't appreciate her excitement over working with Woody Allen, who I find to be suuuper creepy, and Louis CK, who has multiple sexual harassment accusations against him.

In the end, there are a few lines that stuck with me. "I had a lazy attitude for things I didn't feel were important" is a little too on-point for my comfort, and something I am working on, haha. I think my favorite quote is something Nora Ephron said to Parker: "You know Parker, you will always feel the same, you will just keep getting older." So true. I might be 37, but some days I still feel 25.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment