Sunday, August 26, 2018

Kristy's Great Idea

Kristy's Great Idea Kristy's Great Idea by Raina Telgemeier
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was obsessed with the BSC when I was a kid - it was the series that I would rush into the bookstore for, in case there was a new book out, and I still have all my books of them at home somewhere. I had heard the series was out of print, but now that there are new graphic novel versions, a whole new generation of kids can get to know and love them, including my 8 year old niece Ella, who told me this is her favorite book. Hearing that makes my heart happy.

The challenge of family and friendship that these girls go through are still relevant in today world, and so I hope these graphic novels continue to be created. I'll admit that I was happy to see that the setting wasn't modernized - there are no cell phones, the girls still wait around a landline for their babysitting calls to come in. Hopefully kids today can learn about connecting to one another in less digital and immediate ways. Claudia's adventure watching Jamie Newton and his wild cousins seems particularly relevant - she didn't try to force them into listening to her, she ignored them and read quietly with Jamie until they came over to investigate.

All of these stories are relatable - how to navigate a blended family, negotiating with overprotective or strict parents, accepting without question a friend who has an illness or any kind of physical constraint. I'm glad this is the series my niece has latched on to.

And now I'm off to find my books so she can read them, too. She would especially love my favorite, super special #1, where the girls and their families go to Disney World and on a Disney cruise!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment