Saturday, January 20, 2018

The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 6: Imperial Phase, Part 2

The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 6: Imperial Phase, Part 2 The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 6: Imperial Phase, Part 2 by Kieron Gillen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

WARNING: You should really only be reading this review if you have already read the previous volumes of this comic. This review WILL contain SPOILERS.

Once again, SO much going on. This one is going to need a re-read for sure. Once again, we have revelations on Ananke that I never would have expected. So, is Ananke not exactly one god-person, but the spirit of the gods who keep the Great Darkness at bay, who can transfer to another god-body if necessary? And now she has taken over Minerva's body? Definitely makes me want to go back and read volume 5, now that we know Minerva has essentially been Ananke since the old Ananke's destruction. Definitely makes Minerva's hatred of Persephone make more sense.

I think I'll always be on Persephone's side of things, because I've been so attached to Laura from the beginning. Everyone sees her as the Destroyer, and it's secretly how she sees herself, and why she has hurt and pushed everyone but Sakhmet away - she blames herself for her family's deaths because she said she would give anything to become a god. I still wonder why Ananke chose to turn her - the kill her immediately and have another head for her sacrifice table? Unknown. Ultimately I just want her to be happy, but I'm not even sure that's possible at this point.

Cassandra and the Norns have been trying to help solve the mystery of the machine, but she grew too trusting of Woden, and in the end, that screwed both her and Dionysus, who was so sure he could save and help everyone that he dug himself a physical hole he couldn't get out of. I was surprised to hear he had fallen romantically for the Norns, but it makes sense - they both had the same goals, to help people and stop the useless death. He was such a kindhearted person, it's sad to see him go this way.

I am less sad about Amaterasu - that girl was pretty full of herself and self-centered. She was sure that she'd be able to convince or coerce Sakhmet into giving herself up, and that false pride was her downfall. I'm not saying she deserved to die, but I just don't care as much as I do for Dionysus or Inanna.

As for Woden, is he even really a god then? Seems like his son Jon, aka Mimir, is actually the one of the pantheon, and he's been channeling his powers to use him and help Ananke, in order to gain his own power. Makes a little sense, in that Woden hasn't actually been able to perform himself ever. I wonder what the goal is now. And where actually is Jon? Is he still alive somewhere or does he exist only in the machine?

Sakhmet is such a sad, messed up, crazy character. Becoming a god was the last thing she needed with all the rage she had bottled up inside at her family, specifically her father. It seemed like she and Persephone were able to become close because they both felt like they didn't deserve any better. Or at least Persephone didn't. Sakhmet seemed to be fine with who she was, and maybe revelled in the fact that Persephone was "the Destroyer." In the end, she definitely had to be taken out. Too bad Ananke-in-Minerva's body wasn't skilled enough to sever her head clearly.

As for Baal, he seems to be the only truthful, upstanding member of the Pantheon. I'm hoping he can make it through this conflict, but that doesn't seem likely. And I can't help but hope for a Baal-Persephone reunion, because I still think they make each other better, when they are their best selves.

Of course, I have to mention the severed heads on pedestals. What exactly is needed to defeat the Great Darkness? Are the heads just hanging around, waiting for the 4th so there can be a big ritual? And do those heads still contain the consciousnesses of Luci, Inanna, and Tara? I really, really hope so, because I would love to see a Luci-Persephone reunion (of sorts), as well as an Inanna-Baal one.

Once again, I can't wait for the next volume! This time, the suspense is even more intense, so I might actually need to get some single issues. Eek! I know I say this every time, but maybe I'll actually do it this time, haha!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment