Tuesday, January 23, 2018

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 6: Who Run The World? Squirrels

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 6: Who Run The World? Squirrels The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 6: Who Run The World? Squirrels by Ryan North
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Let me start off by saying that The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is one of my very favorite comics and a fantastic character. If you haven't read any of them yet, pick up the first volume at your local bookseller or library and get reading!

Squirrel Girl never fails to entertain, but I have to admit that Melissa Morbeck and her army of brain controlled animals haven't been my favorite villains. The best part about that extended storyline was Chef Bear and Alfredo the Chicken falling in love, haha.

I did enjoy the last issue that featured Chipmunk Hunk, Koi Boi, and Brain Drain bonding over beating the bad guys (and fake good guys) and becoming friends.

There were a few good quotes I really liked from this volume. Tony tweets at Doreen, "Don't feel bad that you trusted someone. That's what you DO, Squirrel Girl. What are you gonna do, not trust anyone? That's a horrible way to live your life. And it's not you." One of the best things about Squirrel Girl is that, as much as she's about busting nuts and taking names, she's also about supporting and helping people, even villains, find their path in life. There are no strangers, only friends she hasn't met yet. That's who she is.

I also love what Brain says to the boys in their discussion about friendships. "Friends don't need to hang out all the time. While some do, one must not conclude that all friends necessarily behave in the same manner. Interpersonal relationships are as unique as the people within them, and all that matters is that when friends do hang out, they make it count." This is SO true. As much as I love seeing my friends, I don't feel like we are any less friends if we aren't hanging out frequently. I treasure the time we get to spend together, but I also treasure the time I get to spend alone, reading, or watching TV, or just staring into space. Every friendship is different, so you shouldn't be disappointed if your friendships look different than the ones you see on TV, or in Facebook, or in any other place.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment