Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Weekly Read: 29

This week was solely focused on finishing my book for book club. Hopefully next week I can start to focus on getting some other reading done.

READ: Travels | Michael Crichton
I've read quite a few books by Michael Crichton, and quite enjoy his writing style, so it is no surprise to me that I enjoyed his style in writing a memoir. His style is engaging and his plots are interesting. What did surprise me, however, was that this book was not just about traveling. The first section, devoted to stories from his med school days, was unexpected but quite interesting, and you can see how E.R. was spawned from these experiences. Also unexpected were sections on Crichton's mystical "travels" with psychics, astral projection, seeing auras, and the like. Honestly, as hard as Crichton is trying to convince me that all of these experiences were real and true, I just can't believe him, and that leads me to the conclusion that he himself was a little off his rocker. It's funny, too, because these types of events are some that I enjoy quite a bit in fiction, but when you try to say that this stuff really happens, I am kind of dumbfounded. Perhaps I am just too skeptical. I was amused and entertained by his stories of talking to cactuses and visiting the aural plane, but in my mind, all this stuff happened in his head. Besides that stuff, though. there are parts of this book that I really liked. I especially liked the sections where he travels to exotic locales and experiences things I likely never will myself, such as climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro and walking into the middle of a ground of mountain gorillas. Overall, I'm taking away from this book a couple of things. First of all, Crichton's main thesis seems to me that we need to step outside our selves and take a look at the world around us, and never take anything for granted. Secondly, Michael Crichton was quite a bit loonier than I ever would have imagined. Oh well! He was still a great writer, and hopefully no one is offended by my views on this stuff.

Next week will involved more time spent reading! Hopefully. :) I am ever hopeful!

No comments:

Post a Comment