Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Weekly Read: 13

Another week of not reading as much as I wanted. When did my life get so busy?

READ: The Betrayal of the Blood Lily | Lauren Willig
This one was pretty easy to read. :) The Pink Carnation series is my favorite kind of fluffy fiction because it involves happily-ever-after romances and history. This story had a lot of potential with the added benefit of being set in India, but I felt like parts of it were really slow. I wish that the Marigold had been more central to the plot, as in the end, I didn't really care who he was or really get what was so bad about him. The characters were enjoyable, but I wanted more from them. Also, about this title - where does the Blood Lily come in at all? I read in the front of the book that it was suggested by a reader, but it doesn't have any relation to the actual book it seems. If they wanted to go with that for the title, they should have changed the name of the spy to the Blood Lily instead of the Marigold. I'm glad I read it, and will read the next, but it just wasn't as good as I expected.

READ: The Diaries of Adam and Eve | Mark Twain
I love reading retellings of Biblical stories, and this one was recommended to me as both funny and a quick read. In this little tale of Adam and Eve, we get to look into their lives and see what life might have been like for them, told in short, first-person accounts. This was sweet and lighthearted, though I'm not sure I love how Adam originally viewed Eve, and why she never explained to him where babies come from. I just wish that this book was longer - we didn't get to hear nearly enough from Eve. I especially was looking forward to hearing the bits about the snake and the fall, as well as the babies being born from her perspective. The biggest drawback for me, though, was I didn't really feel God. One of the major aspects of the Bible story is God's relationship with Adam and Eve in the beginning, and that is completely absent from Twain's story. I enjoyed reading it and laughed quite a bit, but it left me wanting more, both in content and spiritual depth.

STILL READING: Island | Aldous Huxley
Yep, that's right. I'm STILL reading this one. It's just moving SO slow, and I don't feel motivated to read it. Normally, I would have just stopped reading it altogether, but I really don't want to give up on it, not just for my challenge, but because it's on the Lost List. Humph.

Next week, I am really hoping I finally finish Island. And then, who knows. My sister-in-law is in town, so I don't anticipate getting too much reading done. Here's hoping you have been luck than me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment