Thursday, October 5, 2017

Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places

Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places by Colin Dickey
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A fascinating book about not just the most famous ghost stories and haunted places in America, but an in-depth and unbiased analysis on the psychological, societal, and historical reasons why each story developed. From ghosts being invented for profit and marketing purposes, to the psychological need to create stories that explain the unexplainable, Colin Dickey dives deep not only into America's past, but into the minds of those who choose to believe. If nothing else, I've learned that every place has a story to tell, and those that have left are never truly gone if they are remember, regardless of who does the remembering.

This is one of those reviews where if I tried elaborating, this would turn from a short review into a pages-long thesis. Every chapter brought a new story and a new insight into history. I liked it so much, I feel like reading it again, and this time actually stopping to write down every little thing that struck me or I was amazed by. And I just might do that. And you should, too.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment