Saturday, January 1, 2011

126 Books Read in 2010!

126 Books read in 2010!

Another year has come to an end, and I'm proud to say that I once again met my main reading goal for 2010, reading 100 books. At times this year, it was a challenge. My trip to Israel and Turkey this summer didn't provide me with much reading time, as I was uploading photos and blogging our experience every night. Add to that a major lull in reading in October, and for a bit there, I wasn't sure if I was going to finish! Luckily, I was able to refocus by catching up on my manga, and eventually far surpassed my goal.


As for my other goals for 2010, I was successful in some, and others, not so much.


1| Read 100 books.
Success! :)


2| Read longer books.
I would say I was moderately successful with this goal. I am proud that I finally read Anna Karenina (838 pages), and while I didn't read the rest of the books I had originally planned, I still managed to get through several other "epically long" books: Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln (944 pages), The Children's Book (675 pages), The Lonely Polygamist (602 pages), and a re-read of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (759 pages).


3| Read from the LOST List in January.
This one I can say was a resounding success! Though there are still quite a few books on the Lost List I want to read, I managed to read 6 books from the list in January, and 3 more throughout the year. I liked most of them, but I would say my favorites were probably Haroun and the Sea of Stories and Everything That Rises Must Converge.


4| Read a Russian book every month.
This is the goal I failed miserably at. Yes, I read Anna Karenina, but that was it. I really do what to read more Russian literature, I just couldn't make myself. Hopefully I will do better at this during the coming year.


5| Write weekly reading updates.
If you follow my blog, you'll know that I kept up with my weekly reading updates for most of the year, until my friend John's death in October. After that, I didn't really feel like it, so I lumped the last 3 months together in monthly lists. To be honest, a lot of the time, my weekly reading blog felt really redundant to what I was already writing on Goodreads.


So that's it!  I still use Goodreads regularly, and am grateful that I have a spot that I can track all my reading. If you feel like signing up for Goodreads, you can add me as a friend here. You can also check out a list (with links!) of the books I read this year. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment