Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Weekly Read: 25 & 26

Once again, I have over-estimated the time I will actually spend reading while traveling. PLUS, sometime during the trip, my Kindle broke. :( The e-ink layer behind the screen shattered, and now it is unusable. Luckily, I was able to download the Kindle for Android app to my phone while at the Tel Aviv airport on our way to Turkey, so I was able to do some reading, but it's definitely not the same. I did not finish a single book these past 2 weeks.

STARTED: Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal | Christopher Moore
Before heading to Israel, I picked out some books that were set there that I might like to read. This book, by humor novelist Christopher Moore, might seem like an odd choice to take on a religious pilgrimage, but for me, it has been perfect. I don't get offended easily, so talking about Jesus in such a loose manor didn't really bother me as it might have bothered others. What I take from this book is like a honest (though modern and funny) look at what Jesus might have been like as a kid. Would he have known he was special since birth? Probably. Maybe. Would he have had friends growing up, people he confided in? Positively. Obviously I don't take this as actual Gospel, but I don't think that means it's any less worth reading, just because the subject is a Holy one. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one plays out. If anything, Biff is a funny, cool character, and I know if Jesus truly had known him, he would have welcomed him with open arms.

That's it for the past 2 weeks. Yep, really. Coming up: Hopefully actually spending time reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment