Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Weekly Read: 22

Not too much reading going on this week, but lots of listening!

READ: This Lullaby | Sarah Dessen
I can't say this is my favorite book by Sarah Dessen, but it's certainly not my least favorite, and I enjoyed reading it.  If you've read any of her other books, you'll know what I mean when I say I can use just the phrase "A Sarah Dessen Book" to describe this one, too. The characters are interesting and well-developed, engaging and likable (for the most part). I'm happy with the way it ended, even if it was mostly expected, because it would have been sad and frustrating if it had ended any other way.

STARTED: Word Freak | Stefan Fatsis
I've never been very good at Scrabble. There's something about thinking of words off the top of my head that I just can't do very quickly. Then I get frustrated, and just stop playing. But I find the fanatical way people follow any obsession to be fascinating, and this story of the history of scrabble and the slightly-off-kilter people who play it professionally are no different.  I watched and enjoyed a documentary on the same topic a few years ago (Word Wars), so when I saw this book, I thought it would be interesting to hear more about this strange world.  Interestingly enough, the same people that are featured in the documentary are also prominently featured in the book, because the filmmaker and the book's author because part of the same group of scrabble friends/competitors.  I would call this book part history/documentary and part memoir, as the author himself gets sucked into the Scrabble obsession. I'll hopefully be able to finish this book up in the next day or two, but I am enjoying it for sure.

STILL READING: Finding Lost | Nikki Stafford
So far I am enjoying this book, but I haven't had much time to read it, because I have it on my computer at work. The insights into the show episodes have been intriguing, though, and I can see how it would be really enjoyable to follow along with this book as you are watching. I'm also really enjoying the extra articles - book synopses for those seen in Lost, which commentary on how they relate to the show, and short bios on the different philosophers whose names are referenced by the character names on the show. I don't know much about philosophers, so I am enjoying hearing about them.

STILL READING: Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln | Doris Kearns Goodwin
After a trip down to Olympia and back, plus listening some at work, I am now about 2/3 of the way through this book. Man, it is fascinating! I loved hearing about the machinations of the nomination and election, and I now know more about how governments function at war then I ever thought I would.  Every Union loss is hard to read about, and I find myself endlessly frustrated, along with Lincoln, but the inadequacies of many of the Generals who lead the army early in the war, particularly McClellan. I wish I could have a time machine to go back in time and say to all of Lincoln's nay-sayers, "Neener, neener! Guess who is famous instead of you?" :) Of course, if I really had a time machine, I should probably swing by Lincoln's to say, "Don't go to Ford's Theater on April 15th. Also, arrest a guy named John Wilkes Booth, please."

Next week: Hopefully finishing some books, maybe even the Lincoln one! And then some library books, so I can return them before my trip. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment