Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Weekly Read: 11

I didn't find much time to read this week. The fact that I watched a whole season of Angel on DVD probably didn't help. :) Also, I just wasn't as in to the ones I was reading this week.

READ: The Book of Samson | David Maine
This was an interesting and innovative retelling of the Biblical story of Samson, but something about the style rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not a fan of the "If I knew then what I know now" style of flashback storytelling - it feels so depressing, and doesn't let you live in the moment and really experience the story. I also didn't feel like I really got to know Samson as well as I did Noah from The Preservationist. He remained fairly one-dimensional throughout the story; though we heard about his life, his battles, his women, we didn't hear enough about who he was or what he felt. There were certainly entertaining moments, but overall, I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. It could be that I just don't like the story of Samson as much as the story of Noah.

STARTED: Island | Aldous Huxley
This is another book from the Lost Lit List. I was looking forward to reading it, and the first chapter or so has a very Lost feel to it, but it's moving pretty slowly, and I'm not quite sure what the point is yet. I'll keep reading though.

Next week, I'm hoping to finish Island, and then I finally get to read Stardust, my pick for our book club. The meeting is next Sunday, but I shouldn't have any problem getting it read. :) Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment